Friday, February 25, 2011

Blog Assignment # 6

photo of kids using computers

The Networked Student

     This video made me realize what the future classroom may look like. There is so much more information available to us these days than ever before. I think students will like this new way of learning instead of having to hear boring lectures all the time and do the same thing in class every day. Most students are bored in the classroom these days and I think if they are allowed to learn more independently they will be more successful. 
     I also think this way of learning challenges students to find answers for themselves instead of just depending on a teacher or other student to help them. A student today can find information on just about anything through the use of  networking. Connecting with people from all over the world is a great way to learn more. I think in the past we were limited to how much we could learn. When I was growing up I never was able to talk to someone who was in another country. I barely even talked to any one who do not live in my same city. Today we are able to learn so much more by being connected to people from all over the world.
     I think the networked student does still need a teacher. A teacher who is technology literate can help students with questions they have or connect them other people who can help them. A teacher can guide them and show them how to network with other people and use his or her experience to help them along the way. I think a teacher should encourage students to be  networking. A teacher also needs to be networking. A teacher should not be complacent and always willing to learn from other people also. 

     A 7th Grade Personal Learning Environment or PLN

     I was impressed with this 7th graders personal learning environment. It looked way different than what I did in school when I was a young boy. Technology has definitely changed  the way we learn today. My personal learning environment in EDM 310 is similar to this. I never have to use paper or pencil just like this 7th grader did not have too. Most of my classes in college are still not using much technology. I think in the future everyone will be using technology in their personal learning environment or risk the chance of falling way behind those who do use it.

A Critique of Smart boards
     In The two critiques I read about smart boards both think that the smart boards are a waste of money and do not really help the student that much more than a chalkboard or projector. Both educators seem to think that most schools have them just to show them off because they are cool and neat. They seem to think that they are really useless.

      I read a post by Jessica Cook titled The advantages of Using a Smart Board. She believes that smart boards are very beneficial to the teachers and students. She likes the fact that you can save your work on a smart board and retrieve it at any time. She also likes the idea that the smart boards can be connected to different computers and be useful in distance learning. Another advantage is after a teacher is through with a lecture or lesson he or she can print out what was on the board and give a handout to each student. Here is a link to the site.The Advantages of Using a Smart Board | eHow.com

     I believe smart boards are a good investment and offer more advantages than disadvantages. The only thing I do not like is when a school receives a new smart board and a teacher refuses to use it because he or she is scared of learning how it works. It is a waste of money if it just sits there unused, but it can be very beneficial to those who use it in a productive way.

2 comments:

  1. Hey Joshua!
    I agree with you that technology and networking and PLN's have changed so much since we were in school. I didn't even know what a PLN was until this class or anything about symbaloo. It's so cool and efficient to use though now that I know.
    As far as your position on smartboards, why do think there are more advantages than disadvantages? I personally don't think smartboards are that great (but I'm gathering all my info from reading and not using them).
    I agree with you that a teacher should never be complacent. I think we should be just as involved as our students and if we're making them learn and do something then we should be utilizing it too.
    Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Josh,

    Excellent post! I'm glad you're seeing past when many just consider to be "busy work" and seeing EDM310 for it's true purpose - to open your eyes to a new type of learning that you'll hopefully carry into your future classroom!

    Keep up the good work!

    - Allie

    ReplyDelete