Friday, March 4, 2011

Blog Assignment # 7

Randy Pausch Last Lecture: Achieving Your Childhood Dreams

      I was very impressed by this video and Randy Pausch. He had a great attitude despite being stricken with liver cancer. Most people would just roll over and give up. Randy had several childhood dreams that he wanted to accomplish before he died. He achieved all of them in some way. The six he listed in this video were:

1. Being in zero gravity
2. Playing in the NFL
3. Authoring an article in the World Book of Encyclopedia
4. Being Captain Kirk
5. Winning Stuffed animals
6. Being a Disney Imagineer


picture of bricks


     I really enjoyed the part in the video about hitting a brick wall. We all may hit a brick wall in our lives when trying to accomplish our dreams. We should not let this stop us. It should be thought of as gaining an  experience instead of a stopping point to give up on our dreams. I really liked the Quote by Mr. Randy Pausch that said "Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted". I think a lot of time people do not realize that just because you didn't achieve something that you wanted in life, you can still use that experience to help you get where you want to be.    


    I also learned from watching this video what a head fake was. A head fake is when you make somebody think they are learning something that is fun when in reality it is something that is very valuable and important that they are really learning. It is something  hard to learn but you do not realize that when you are doing it because you are having fun with it. It is like manipulating a student to learning something hard by making it enjoyable. I also like the points he made about how to get people to help you. You can get people to help you by doing the following according to Mr. Pausch.


  • Realize you can't get there alone
  • Tell the truth
  • Be earnest
  • Apologize when you screw up
  • Focus on others, not yourself
 
   I enjoyed watching this video and admired the courage shown by Mr. Pausch. This man may have been dying, but he was still having fun and helping others. I think he is a great example for future teachers! He challenged students and made fun learning at the same time. I hope one day I can have this great attitude about teaching as he did. I am not going to let a brick wall stop me from achieving my dreams anymore. I am going to use my failures as experience to make myself a better person and a better teacher. 

    2 comments:

    1. I also really enjoyed the movie by Randy Pausch. This movie changed my whole outlook on life and I feel that this will really positively affect the way I teach. I like that you posted this on your blog because I do feel like more people should watch this movie.

      ReplyDelete
    2. You really picked out some good values the Mr Pausch preached on. He certainly is an inspiration and it looks as though all of your peers agree!

      ReplyDelete