Sunday, March 6, 2011

Comments For Teachers # 2

     I commented on Royan Lees's blog. He is a teacher leader in the York Region District School Board, Ontario, Canada. He is currently an intermediate literacy teacher in Richmond Hill. The first post on his blog I commented on was about mobile app logos. He had his students analyzing and designing app logos. The students were very engaged and doing their homework because they loved doing this. Their was a high level of collaboration among the students that Mr. Royan says he wish he could bottle up and sell. The students are obviously having fun learning. I commented on his post and told him that I thought this was a great idea he had to make students excited about learning. I also told him that it was exciting to see students so engaged in their schoolwork and being creative. Below is a picture of some of the apps his students designed.

mobile phone apps


     The second post I commented on by MR. Royan was titled "I heart tech". In this post MR. Royan basically says that we need to get past the excitement of technology and use it for learning and teaching instead of just using it because it is cool! He says "To get past novelty,however you must experience the novelty." He gives an example of his daughter loving the ice cream shop. It is unavoidable that she will love the ice cream shop at first. I commented and told Mr. Royan that this was a great post. I told him that if we just focus on how cool something is, we often lose sight of what we can actually learn from something.



1 comment:

  1. I totally agree with Mr Royan. Technology is so great-- and the gizmos and gadgets that get people hooked are fantastic, but it's the unlimited content and access to that content that makes technology so unique. Once you know how to use it as a resource, the real fun begins... you can use it as a means of production!

    ReplyDelete