Saturday, April 9, 2011

Blog Assignment # 11

First Graders in Ms. Cassidy's Class
first grade student

     This video is about all the technology that Ms. Cassidy's first grade class is using. I was surprised that such  young students were using so much technology. It appeared that each student had a personal laptop. They were blogging, skyping, and even using a nintendo DS to learn in the classroom. I wish I had these things in the classroom when I attended school. I do not think this is a good representation of every school. Many students in schools do not have access to these technology tools. I think it is great that these students have all these tools to help assist them in learning. They are on their way to being technology literate at a very young age and way before I was at their age.        


Skype Interview with Ms. Cassidy

      I enjoyed watching this interview. Ms. Cassidy seems like a great teacher who has incorporated a lot of  technlogy in her classroom. She talks about how her students are blogging and using other tools in technology. I think she is a good example of a teacher using technology responsibly in the classroom. She only allows students to use first names and does not post pictures with names. I think it is great that she is using technology and also protecting her students when they are online. I also like the idea she raises in creating  seperate accounts on a  social media site. One for personal use and one for educational use. She also talks about how students like blogging because it is available for many people to see and comment on. If they were just writing on paper, only a few people would ever read it. 
     One thing I really liked that Mr. Cassidy said was that "collaborating is not cheating". I think some people are worried that people will cheat and copy other people's work when doing so much online work. It is not necessarily cheating when you collaborate and use other people's ideas. I don't personally think you can cheat easily in a course like EDM 310. You have to think for yourself and be creative in this class. This video was definitely worth my time watching and will help me as a teacher one day in my classroom and incorporating technology. 

1 comment:

  1. Hey Joshua,

    I agree that there aren't many schools around here that would be able to have a laptop for each student. This is something that we can all try to achieve, but in reality this would be very hard.

    I like the fact that you pointed out that "collaborating is not cheating". She really does a good job in explaining why this is so. I wish all teachers understood this, but that is nearly impossible.

    Good post Joshua,

    Stephen Akins

    ReplyDelete