Saturday, April 2, 2011

Comments For Teachers # 3

     I commented on  Mr. John T Spencer's blog. I commented on a post he made about joining the Acceptable Use Committee. He posted a dialogue of a conversation during a committee regarding the Acceptable Use policy of the district. After researching Acceptable Use policies to have a general understanding of the conversation, the post made by Mr. Spencer demonstrates his beliefs that teaching ethical behavior should be used over setting use policies and that he made a mistake joining the committee. I replied in a manner defending the use of setting rules and boundaries for students not only for their protection but to keep students off websites that are not school related. In my opinion teaching ethical behavior alone will not keep students from doing right and wrong.
tom johnson's pencil integration

      The next post by Mr. Spencer that I commented on was titled "5 reasons for Leaving The Pencil Conference Early". This post was about Mr. Spencer leaving the pencil integration conference early. He listed five reasons.

1. Many presenter's I've met were unaproachable.
2.Many presenters were arrogant
3.Many presenters fail to grasp complexity,paradox,and mystery.
4.Many presenters speak like addicts
5.Many of the New School folks won't admitthat there are some great ideas from the past-whether the idea is ten or two thousand years old.

     Mr. Spencer lest the conference early and felt like he could learn more from his daughter than this conference. One thing I like is when he said that many presenters want to claim they love social media but then shy away from using it themselves. I commented on his post and told him I did not blame him for leaving the conference. I told him that one should practice what he preaches. I think it is very hypocritical to advocate something when you are not doing it yourself. I also told him that no one likes listening to someone that is arrogant.
Enhanced by Zemanta

1 comment:

  1. I looked around on Mr. Spencer's blog as well. He seemed like a pretty cool teacher. I wouldn't blame him for leaving the conference earlier either. Situations like that are just frustrating.

    ReplyDelete