Friday, April 29, 2011

Blog Assignment # 14 ( Special Assignment On Metaphors)

desk with metaphors on it
     I really don't know why I missed this metaphor. I went back and read it again and now I understand Mr John. Spencer's blog post. I guess I was just in a hurry do get the assignment over and did not take time to really try to understand what he was saying. I now see that he was talking about technology and was using the pencils as a metaphor.

     I have heard some metaphors used lately now that I am looking for them. I hear them more often now that I am watching for them. I was watching a basketball game and the announcer said the shooter is on fire. I know that the shooter is not on fire but the announcer is implying that the shooter is making most of his shots. Another one I hear often is that America is a melting  pot. I know that this is a metaphor to describe that America is a place of many different people and cultures.

     We should first teach students what metaphors are and show them many examples. One way we can do this is by encouraging them to read blog posts like we do in this class. The blog post by Mr. Spencer has sure helped me understand more about metaphors. Another way to help or students understand metaphors is to use them ourselves when we teach and see if they are understanding and recognizing them.

     We use metaphors to make someone really think about what is being said. It grabs the attention of people when we use a metaphor and makes them put their thinking cap on and try to understand what is being said. I believe metaphors can sometimes confuse people as it did me, but they are intended to help someone learn and we should use them when needed appropriate.
    


No comments:

Post a Comment